What Is Hair Loss?

Treated at The Griffin Center of Hair Restoration and Research in Atlanta, Georgia.

Hair Loss treatments atlanta gaThe average adult head has about 100,000 to 150,000 hairs that are constantly going through differing stages of hair growth. At any given time, about 90% of the hair on a person’s scalp is growing, and each follicle has its own life cycle that can be influenced by age, disease, and a wide variety of other factors. The remaining 10%, undergoing the telogen (or “resting”) phase, are being shed to make room for the next cycle of hair growth. As a result, it is not unusual to lose up anywhere from 50 to 100 hairs a day, so finding a few stray hairs on your hairbrush is not necessarily cause for alarm. However, if you see bald patches or an excessive degree of thinning, you may be experiencing a more serious form of hair loss.

Hair loss, or alopecia, can affect just your scalp or your entire body. It can be the result of any one of a number of different factors, including heredity, certain medications, or an underlying medical condition. Anyone — men, women and even children — can experience hair loss. Luckily, however, many of the most common causes of hair loss can be stopped or treated. At The Griffin Center of Hair Restoration and Research, we offer a variety of treatment options that can be individually customized to treat your specific form of hair loss and give you the most effective and natural looking results possible.

Next: What Causes Hair Loss?

 


Testimonials

"Dr. Griffin specializes in several areas, but he is best known for his ability to treat patients with hair loss. I have been seeing him for nearly 3 years and have seen tremendous results…" Read More